Tuesday, June 23, 2009

bffc.

When I was in elementary/junior high school my closest friends and I created this club. We called the BFFC or "Best Friends Forever Club". We tried desperately to have weekly meetings, talk about different things we wanted to do together, including going through babysitter training, car washes and different things to make money. Looking back, I'm not sure what the money was for, but the point was, we were raising it together.


Thinking over the BFFC, I am strangely reminded of the Babysitter's Club movie, how all of the girls met and spent a summer raising money to buy a place to base their club/babysitting business out of.

Similarly, we spent our weekends bundled up in sleeping bags, munching on popcorn, and watching Now and Then. We always seemed to find time for our weekly meetings, keeping the BFFC alive.

I'm not sure when exactly the BFFC seized to exist, but as we grew older, attended different high schools, and began growing into our new lives, the sleepovers dwindled and new groups of friends began to emerge.


Tonight, as I sat around the table with some of my closest friends, I was reminded of that club, and how close I felt to my friends. I looked around that patio table tonight, at each of my friends, sipping wine and munching on appetizers (some homemade and some store bought), and realized that we aren't much different from that well-intentioned, close-knit club. Sure, some have jobs and others are traveling across the world, some will be in the classroom, and others are planning weddings, but we're still just a group of girls who love to be around one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment