For as long as I remember I have been considered an "athlete". This of course changed in college, considering I wasn't quite good enough for the collegiate level, but I still saw myself that way.
It's funny because Kyle, along with my close college friends, have not seen my athletic side, the side that defined me for the majority of my high school career. They have seen my more girly and social side. This, I don't find to be a negative thing, but just an intriguing thing to contemplate.
Having begun assisting with the volleyball program at Lawrence Central, I have found excitement and enthusiasm in meeting my old athletic self again. It's not necessarily that I lost it through my college years, but that competitive environment wasn't near what I had experienced in my past.
It is different though, being a coach. I so badly want to get in on every drill and game, hoping to kill a ball and relive those exciting days on the court. It's a lot harder than I had expected it to be, to simply instruct. We do make the effort to get in and play with the girls, allowing them the opportunity to get to know us better and feel comfortable with us, but we also selfishly just want to play.
Today we were demonstrating and teaching the footwork for hitting. Being an outside hitter, Megan relied on me to help demonstrate what the appropriate approach is and the timing that goes along with it. This is not easy, but it felt amazing once everything fit. Feeling myself fall into the steps and rhythm of kill was perfect, and oh, how I wish I could play again.
Don't get me wrong. There is something so wonderful about coaching, and I have realized just how much passion I have for it, but that passion comes from years of playing. I can only hope this won't be my last date with the court.
Should States “Pay It Forward” for Higher Education?
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment