Wednesday, March 17, 2010

luck of the irish.

Yesterday I got an email, the type of email you hope to never receive. Normally you would get this type of news via frantic telephone call, but my mother knew that I was more likely to receive an email while at work.

My baby sister got into a really bad car accident. We are beyond euphemisms. Apparently, Karley was attempting to avoid a trash can that had rolled into the road and in an attempt to regain the correct position on the road, she lost control, and the car was totaled.

My stomach is still in knots, picturing my sweet, little sister who I remember in those Tweety Bird khaki pants with permanently stained knees, that she refused to take off, even in the heart of summer. l remember my bleach-blonde tomboy, who would pitch softballs at the side of our house until
my mom got tired of hearing the ball slam against the garage. I remember my little kindergardener who dressed up as a blueberry for Halloween because it was her absolute favorite food.

Thinking of this sweet girl in a scarier situation then I have ever found myself in, honestly breaks my heart. Very seldom do our heart physically ache, but I can't seem to get this feeling to go away.

I feel so fortunate. After Kathleen's accident last winter, and now Karley's this week, I feel incredibly lucky on this St. Patrick's day, to have both of my sisters. I will forever believe in the luck of the Irish...however little Irish I have in me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my is she OK???? Still hard for me to realize how very "grown up" you all are. When I was cleaning out all my stuff from my yrs at Citifinancial I found a note you had left on my desk when you and your dad came in on a Saturday to work and I was not there. You must have been about 9 or 10 (the age of my granddaughter now)and it brought tears to my eyes - you and your sisters are more precious to me than you will ever know. I am so proud of the person you have become and wish you many more happy days in your life! Love to you,
    Cathy Compton

    ReplyDelete