There are certain things that take us back. Things that take us back to times when we weren't paying bills and our biggest concern wasn't whether or not our checks cleared. Things that remind us of how we got to the places we are today.As I sat in the bleachers at Wheeler High School, watching Kyle's football team tear up the field, I was taken back to the packed Mustang stadium. I'll never forget seeing the lights, cramming into the bleachers, standing in line for hot chocolate, and screaming the school song at the top of my lungs. These memories, however, became even more clear to me as I found myself in a similar environment Friday night. The differences did surface as I realized I didn't have a crush on any of the players, the colors that enveloped the fans were not the familiar blue and gold, and the cheerleaders could not take their eyes off of Kyle, or should I say, Coach Becich. While a part of me longed for my days in the student section, I couldn't help but smile and realize how happy I am to be where I am at in my life.
I'll still sit under the friday night lights, I'll still cheer for those hardworking high schoolers, I'll still face inclement weather, but I'll do it as a teacher, and (cringe) as an adult.
While the thought of being an adult is overwhelming and somewhat dissatisfying, something about it does excite me. I enjoyed watching Kyle in action, seeing the benefit of his hard work. I am proud of him, just as I expect to be proud the young men I teach, when I make it to a game to support them. It's a new emotion that can be added to excitement, and I like it.
The excitement and pride of the friday night lights is something that I plan to treasure for a long time, and I'm happy I have the opportunity to do just that.
No comments:
Post a Comment